1. Make sure you have an SPF configured
In order to make mailing campaigns function properly, they need authentication not to be considered SPAM. The implementation of DKIM and SPF takes place on the client's side, in the DNS service, by adding appropriate entries.
It's all about SPF and 3 CNAME entries (DKIM entries), e.g.:
- yourdomain.com | TXT | "v=spf1 include:sendgrid.net ~all"
- em766.yourdomain.com. | CNAME | u2000878.wl129.sendgrid.net
- s1._domainkey.yourdomain.com. | CNAME | s1._domainkey.u2000878.wl129.sendgrid.net.
- s2._domainkey.yourdomain.com. | CNAME | s2._domainkey.u2000878.wl129.sendgrid.net.
2. Make sure that the content of your newsletter complies with good practices
a) Contact base
- Update: remove inactive contacts from the list and get rid of incorrect e-mail addresses on a regular basis; it is also important that the addresses on the contact list do not come from the same domain and are not general addresses (e.g. office@your_domain, shop@your_domain, help@your_domain);
- Personalise: segmentation based on scoring and tags will ensure better sales results; you can use tags for segmentation by creating user groups. You can use the import/export option of e-mail addresses in the customer's panel, e.g. you upload (import) new tag values before sending e-mails;
- Use CAPTCHA to prevent spambots from subscribing to your list.
b) Creating e-mails
- Avoid attachments and large graphics – the more of them, the worse. They cause filters to read these messages as malicious;
- Always include the "unsubscribe" link – use the unsubscribe tag – unsubscribing the contact from the mailing;
- Make sure that the content of your message is displayed correctly in various e-mail programs and devices used by your clients;
- Use different senders for different campaigns – that is, the newsletter should not be sent, for example, from the account regulations@your_domain, and regulations from the account offer@your_domain;
- Avoid adding special characters and tags to the message title.
3. Send a test message to check the quality of the e-mail you created
Tools such as mail-tester.com or glockapps are a good start. Follow the directions for using the tool until you are satisfied with the quality. This involves inserting the content of the e-mail generated by this website into the test message and then checking the test results.
4. Resend a test message
This time to your individual e-mail address. Also check if all elements are included (a personal data disclaimer, unsubscribe link, good title, content not overloaded with graphics).
5. Send the newsletter from the customer's panel
The above steps should be followed for each mailing campaign.